COVID Disrupted Everything-- Even Rocket Launches

Surprising supply chain breakdowns

Credit: James Olstein

W hen Florida had a COVID rise, it triggered a lack of liquid oxygen for individuals in extensive care. Part of the supply chain for liquid oxygen was moved over to make up for it, which affected about half a lots rocket launches. Florida was the source of the requirement for oxygen, however it pulled resources from the whole nation.

We[United Launch Alliance] had actually a prepared launch going off the West Coast, out of Vandenberg Space Force Base in California. We had actually seen the problem beginning in Florida, and we stockpiled on liquid oxygen ahead of time. We were amazed when we might not get liquid nitrogen. Already all the trucks that might move cryogenic liquids, and individuals who might drive them, had actually gone to Florida.

It was sort of an amusing chance for SpaceX and us to practically assist each other. I did not have any nitrogen on the West Coast, and they had a scarcity of liquid oxygen on the East Coast. I believe Gwynne Shotwell [president and chief operating officer of SpaceX] and I had a conference someplace together, and I stated, “Hey, I’ve got this giant tank of liquid oxygen that was for a launch numerous months away. I ‘d enjoy to make that offered to you.” She responded, “Well, I’ve got a lot of nitrogen out on the West Coast that I might lend you.” We were setting up to trade this product when our particular groups fixed the issues in your area, so we wound up not needing to do it. I was in fact a little dissatisfied since it would have been enjoyable.

I question we will deal with a crisis rather that severe once again, however it did expose the weak spots because supply chain. We had a scarcity of motorists with the unique training and accreditation to drive liquid cryogenics around. Now that we comprehend that this is a vulnerability, we have more individuals licensed than are required at any time.

This short article was initially released with the title “Oxygen Shortages Delayed Rocket Launches” in Scientific American 326, 3, 71 (March 2022)

doi: 10.1038/ scientificamerican0322-71

ABOUT THE AUTHOR( S)

    Tory Bruno is an aerospace engineer and president of United Launch Alliance, among the world’s biggest area launch business.

    Newsletter

    Get wise. Register for our e-mail newsletter.

    Read More

    http://covid19globalcases.com/covid-disrupted-everything-even-rocket-launches/

    Comments