2022 Beijing Olympics – Figure Skating – Team Event – Men Single Skating – Capital Indoor Stadium, Beijing, China – February 6,2022 Vincent Zhou of the United States in action. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina
Register now for FREE unrestricted gainaccessto to Reuters.com
BEIJING, Feb 7 (Reuters) – American figure skater Vincent Zhou stated on Monday he hasactually withdrawn from the Beijing Olympics ahead of this week’s males’s songs competitors after screening favorable for COVID-19.
A tearful Zhou, who completed 6th at the 2018 Pyeongchang Games and beat triple world champ Nathan Chen for the gold medal at the Skate America Grand Prix in October, provided the news in a five-minute Instagram video.
“I haveactually checked favorable for COVID-19 and sadly I will have to withdraw from the specific occasion beginning tomorrow,” Zhou stated.
Register now for FREE endless gainaccessto to Reuters.com
“It appears quite unbelievable that of all the individuals it would occur to myself, and that’s not simply because I’m still processing this turn of occasions however likewise because I haveactually been doing whatever in my power to stay complimentary of COVID consideringthat the start of the pandemic.
“I’ve taken all the safetymeasures I can. I’ve separated myself so much that the solitude I felt in the last month or 2 hasactually been squashing at times.”
Earlier on Monday, U.S. Figure Skating stated Zhou was goingthrough extra screening and that the 21-year-old California native would be able to complete in the males’s brief program needto he test unfavorable.
Zhou, who hopes to represent the United States at next month’s world champions in France, did state he was rather consoled by the truth that he did make a silver medal in Beijing in the group occasion.
“I’ve currently lost count of the number of times I’ve wept today,” stated Zhou. “But I’m delighted to state that at least one of those times was delighted tears, and that was when I discovered out that I endedupbeing an Olympic silver medallist.”
Prior to Zhou’s statement, group mate Karen Chen stated she was taking safetymeasures to battle the possibility of contracting COVID in the Olympic Village, with lots of professionalathletes havingactually evaluated favorable on arrival in Beijing consideringthat Jan. 23.
“It’s certainly something that I believe about every now and then, however it’s in a method out of my control,” Chen stated.
“I can just do what I can manage, whether it’s double masking, sanitising my hands all the time, using gloves, not touching my face. So those are things that I can manage, so I’ve simply been focusing on that.”
Register now for FREE endless gainaccessto to Reuters.com
Reporting by Chang-Ran Kim, Gabrielle Tétrault-Farber, Hritika Sharma and Frank Pingue; Editing by Himani Sarkar, Peter Rutherford and Pritha Sarkar
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
Comments
Post a Comment