Oscar De La Hoya's battle was going to be a profession capstone. Covid struck him.

featured image

The famous fighter Oscar De La Hoya stated he was all set for the most significant battle of his life this Saturday. Rather, he’s been knocked out by a development Covid-19 infection that put him in the healthcare facility.

” Wanted you to hear straight from me that regardless of being totally immunized, I have actually contracted Covid and am not going to have the ability to battle next weekend,” the 48- year-old fighter revealed Friday on Twitter

De La Hoya was set up to eliminate the Brazilian combined martial arts promote Vítor Vieira Belfort, who contends in both heavyweight and middleweight departments.

In a video interview on Sept. 1 about the much-anticipated match, De La Hoya stated the battle had to do with reaching another individual turning point in a trailblazing profession, that includes a gold medal from the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and 10 world titles in 6 departments De La Hoya was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2014 with a record of 39 -6 and 30 knockouts

” I believe this is the most substantial battle that I can be in today, for me, for my life,” he stated. “This is a battle that I can lastly put closure on my profession.”

The Sept. 11 match would have been De La Hoya’s very first battle in 13 years. He retired in April 2009, 4 months after losing to Filipino boxing champ Manny Pacquiao.

For the Mexican American “Chico de Oro” (” Golden Boy”), this match was more than simply a basic return.

Outside of the ring, De La Hoya has actually developed himself as a boxing and blended martial arts promoter. When he speaks, he still lands his words with the strength and accuracy of a skilled fighter.

” Yeah, my savings account is big, bigger. Yes, I oversleep silk pajamas. Yes, I do not need to do this due to the fact that my bed is so comfy, trigger it’s one of the most pricey beds ever. I do this since I’m inspired,” he stated.

What encourages him now more than defending world titles and leaping up in weight classes is getting closure for his profession in his own method.

This mission for individual development has not just challenged him to hold himself more responsible, however likewise formed his identity. Early on in his profession, De La Hoya stated that recognizing as Mexican American was in some cases made complex.

” As a kid I matured in an extremely Mexican family here in the U.S.,” he stated. “But then I proceed and beat Julio César Chávez, the [Mexican boxing] legend, in 1996 and after that all of Mexico protests me.”

Ultimately, the experience of living in between both cultures showed to be a source of inspiration.

” I’m happy to be American and enjoy my Mexican roots,” he stated. “I comprehended what it suggested to always remember my roots. I comprehended what it suggested for me personally and for my profession.”

Now, De La Hoya strongly supports that speaking Spanish and English assisted him grow inside and beyond the ring. And this multilingual experience might assist young Latino fighters get in touch with a more comprehensive fan base.

” I highly feel that it can be a benefit when you end up being a champ, a fighter, you can actually record both worlds. And actually have individuals relate to you if you speak Spanish, if you speak English,” he stated.

The fighter informed fans in Spanish and English by means of Twitter that he is presently being dealt with at the medical facility for Covid-19 and is positive that he will be back in the ring prior to completion of the year.

More than half of U.S. Latinos (52 percent) stated in a study launched over the summer season that somebody near them had actually passed away or was hospitalized from Covid-19 Practically as lots of (49 percent) reported that somebody in the family had actually lost a task or had wage cut given that February 2020.

Former heavyweight champ Evander Holyfield will apparently change De La Hoya in the Belfort match.

Follow NBC Latino on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Arturo Conde

Arturo Conde is an editor and a multilingual freelance reporter. He composes for La Opinión A Coruña and has actually been released in Fusion, Univision and City Limits.

Read More

https://covid19globalcases.com/oscar-de-la-hoyas-battle-was-going-to-be-a-profession-capstone-covid-struck-him/

Comments