One year later: Spokesman-Review staffers remember the day sports stopped due to the coronavirus

featured image

Mar. 13– Ralph Walter, sports editor– in Boise

The sports world was in freefall.

It was March 2020, and my bro Jess and I were in Boise for our yearly expedition to enjoy Eastern Washington University play at the Big Sky Conference basketball tournament.

We saw no basketball. Just hours earlier, we ‘d discovered that the coronavirus outbreak had not just sidelined the Huge Sky tourney, however the following week’s NCAA Competition as well.

And there we were, sitting stunned in a basement downtown bar, drinking whiskey as we tried to make sense of what was occurring around us.

Me: I can’t believe these morons are standing in line to ride this mechanical bull.

Jess, pointing at us: I can’t think these morons are being in a jam-packed bar at the start of an international pandemic.

Not precisely our One Shining Minute.

Stupidity aside, the minute was surreal. The bombshell came March 11 with the stunning announcement that Utah Jazz huge guy Rudy Gobert had contracted COVID-19 and the NBA was suspending its season. By the next day, almost every sport had ended, capped by the NCAA’s decision to call off March Insanity that late afternoon.

It occurred so quickly, and the spooky unpredictability progressing was frustrating: From Boise, where EWU was seeking simply its third NCAA Competition berth; to Las Vegas, where Washington State won what turned out to be the last total game of the 2020 basketball season; and of course back house in Spokane, where the city was preparing yourself to roll out the red carpet for both Gonzaga basketball groups and the Huge Dance.

And it resounded to every corner of our region, from youth sports leagues to high schools to hockey and arena football.

Today, The Spokesman-Review sports personnel reviews those 2 extraordinary days in March when the sports world went dark.

Madison McCord, deputy sports editor– in Spokane

There were plenty of benefits to living simply a 10- minute bike or Lime scooter trip from our downtown offices, particularly on a nice spring or summer season day.

One year back, I opted for the 2-minute drive– which felt more like 30 seconds.

My better half had already begun working from home by the 12 th, and I sensed I wasn’t far behind. After the NBA pause and NCAA no-fans effort the day previously, the writing appeared to be on the wall for the tourney.

I spent that morning on the sofa in our home revitalizing Twitter and enjoying ESPN. Searching for the very first indication of cancellation. That lasted till about midday when I chose to head into the workplace.

When the hammer dropped soon after 4 p.m., we were all set to go.

We published a story on the S-R website within minutes. The attention turned to arranging stories with our authors, working with web editors Tyler Grippi and Rob Kauder on what was required online, getting words to copy editor Chris Derrick for a close read and taking the periodic breath.

By the end of the night, whatever had actually altered. Conversations turned from how many pages we would need for our Selection Sunday protection to how we were going to fill a four-page section and what we would cover in the coming months.

The pandemic showed the versatility and resiliency of our personnel, but it is a day none of us wishes to live through again.

Jim Meehan, Gonzaga guys’s beat writer– in Las Vegas

I can’t remember what I had for breakfast the other day, however I’ll never forget where I was when the news broke that the 2020 NCAA Tournament had been canceled.

I’m particular Mark Couple of won’t forget, either. I was viewing Gonzaga’s coach react to a concern throughout a live interview on ESPN when Rece Davis interrupted and informed Few of the NCAA’s choice.

ESPN/ YouTube

It was crushing news for the Zags, who were forecasted to be a No. 1 seed playing the opening weekend at the Spokane Arena.

Couple of rotated in seconds and used viewpoint on a scenario he hoped would never ever materialize.

” Very, incredibly dissatisfied,” Few informed Davis. “I believe all of us felt we could delay and even delay into May or whatever, and if we needed to cancel, we could cancel then. If that’s what they’re doing, then I guess that’s what they’re doing.”

That whole week was surreal. Prior to Gonzaga’s semifinal video game in the West Coast Conference Competition, I was in the Orleans Hotel fitness room attempting unsuccessfully to reduce the calorie damage from a huge bowl of Huge Al’s seafood pasta. I overheard two guys with an Italian flag on their exercise t-shirts discussing how lucky they were to leave the country just before a travel ban was enforced.

Hours later on, I asked WCC commissioner Gloria Nevarez if the conference was preparing additional COVID-19 safety protocols following reports that a BYU fan amongst 19,000 participating in the Cougars-Zags game in Provo on Feb. 22 had checked favorable. Nevarez stated the conference was following all CDC and local health department standards and the games would continue as scheduled.

Gonzaga won the WCC title Tuesday night. Prior to boarding my flight Wednesday morning, news broke that fans wouldn’t be allowed at NCAA Competition venues.

Jim Allen, who covers GU ladies’s basketball for the S-R, and I put together a reaction story after interviewing numerous Gonzaga fans at the Portland airport as we awaited a linking flight to Spokane. The next day, the NCAA ended on the guys’s and ladies’s competitions.

Athletic director Mike Roth told press reporters there was a “great deal of feeling” from players throughout a group meeting. I considered 2 in particular: North Texas grad transfer Ryan Woolridge and senior forward Killian Tillie.

The main factor Woolridge transferred to Gonzaga was to play in the NCAA Tournament for the very first time. Tillie battled injuries throughout his career, including a hip condition that kept the Frenchman from betting Florida State in the 2018 Sweet 16.

Tillie had actually played his best basketball over the last six weeks of his senior season. Parents Laurent and Caroline took a trip from France to view his Senior Night, the WCC Tournament and the NCAA Competition.

” The city (of Spokane) is going to go crazy, I understand that for sure,” the amiable Tillie told me after the WCC title video game. “And I’m excited to see all the fans.”

Tillie was primed for a big finish, but regretfully never got the possibility.

Jim Allen, Gonzaga women’s beat writer– in Spokane

The reality of COVID-19 didn’t sink in till the afternoon of March 12, when I discovered that the NCAA Competition had actually been canceled.

Like any great press reporter, I got my iPhone and called Gonzaga women’s coach Lisa Fortier for her reaction.

My timing was awful.

Fortier, on a recruiting journey to California, picked up the phone and stated, “Hey there.”

” Hi, Lisa, this is Jim. … I expect you have actually heard …”

Sobs from the other end told me that she had. I felt the emotions, too, and it was a short, uncomfortable conversation.

” We had worked so hard,” Fortier stated.

It had actually been the best of seasons. The Zags were 28 -2 and regular-season champions of the West Coast Conference as they arrived in Las Vegas the previous weekend for the WCC Tournament.

The shadows fell rapidly after that. GU lost in the semifinals, but flew house with the consolation that it would probably be hosting NCAA Tournament games at the Kennel.

By the time I boarded the plane back for house on March 11, news broke that no fans would be allowed at video games.

During a layover in Portland, coworker Jim Meehan and I got responses from GU fans, almost all of whom could not understand what the difficulty was all about.

We composed our stories on the plane to Spokane. I got home, went to sleep and wondered what the next day would bring.

I drove to The Spokesman-Review workplace, still in rejection as I planned for stories ahead of the competition.

A couple of hours later on, the news hit, and I needed to alter my focus. Rather of discussing Selection Monday, I would be handling damaged brackets and broken hearts.

And after that I grabbed the phone.

Theo Lawson, WSU beat author– in Las Vegas

Hours before the Pac-12’s media relations department released a statement validating the cancellation of the 2020 conference basketball tournament, T-Mobile Arena workers were already at work getting rid of the signs and props that had actually been established around the 17,000- seat venue straight off the Las Vegas Strip.

Just outside the primary entrance, employees began deflating the extra-large, Pac-12- top quality prop basketball– in some methods the perfect metaphor for what taken place in college sports over the next 24-48 hours. The Pac-12 Competition lost its air on March 12, and the rest of the country would quickly follow suit.

It wasn’t long prior to “quarantine” and “socially remote” entered into the everyday lingo, however two days previously, those words hardly resonated. On March 10, minutes after Gonzaga walloped Saint Mary’s to win the WCC Tournament, a swath of writers and TV reporters charged into the Bulldogs’ locker room at the Orleans Arena to collect postgame responses.

The threats of COVID-19 transmission were very little at the time, however one year later, it’s nearly difficult to recall 15-20 unmasked journalists browsing through a compact locker space, trading droplets and jockeying for position to grab a few face-to-face quotes from the nation’s most accomplished college basketball players.

On March 13, I flew back to a Spokane that was much various than the one I ‘d left 6 days previously. Very little was learnt about the unique coronavirus, or precisely how it was transferred, however “pandemic” was a term that instilled worry and stories of COVID-19- related deaths sufficed to make me skittish boarding a 2-hour Southwest flight.

Among the passengers on the semifull flight were members of Eastern Washington’s ladies’s golf group. The Eagles had actually finished one round of the Pizza Hut Invitational in St. George, Utah, when COVID-19 kicked them off the course. As I waited on my baggage, I watched EWU senior Madalyn Ardueser gather a knapsack and follow a small group of colleagues and coaches out of the terminal.

Ardueser shot the most affordable rating in the field on Day 1 at Sunbrook Golf Course, but never had an opportunity to see her competition out, not to mention her profession. Not till writing this a year later on did I understand Ardueser chose not to return to the Eagles in 2020-21– or was not offered the chance due to the fact that of the monetary tension that COVID-19 caused smaller sized schools like EWU and Idaho.

Locally, most of us would spend the next week going over the implications of the canceled NCAA males’s basketball tournament, what it suggested for Mark Few’s highly regarded Gonzaga team and how the pandemic would shock Nick Rolovich’s first season at WSU’s football coach.

However that night, and regularly through the past 365 days, I’ve tried to express compassion for Ardueser, her EWU golf colleagues and, on a much larger scale, the small-sport athletes who were unable to continue doing what they enjoy– in some cases for a brief amount of time, and for others, on a much more irreversible basis.

Ryan Collingwood, EWU beat author– in Boise

Consider it a prophecy for the eeriness that ensued.

When I checked into my Boise hotel to cover the Big Sky Conference Competition, I was provided space No. 666.

Then I lost my wallet while on an early morning run though the Idaho capital.

Then, you know, college basketball– and the world at large– stalled.

The Idaho ladies had actually currently qualified for the national championship, however the Eastern Washington men were just 1 1/2 hours from tipping off their Thursday early morning quarterfinal when I got a text from head coach Shantay Legans that the tournament was canceled.

Legans was disappointed, however found solace in the reality his top-seeded Eagles were likely going to be given an automated quote to an NCAA Tournament that would try to go fanless.

Two hours later on, I watched from a Red Lion television as Gonzaga’s Mark Few was being interviewed live on ESPN, the news broke: The NCAA Tournament was canceled.

My jaw fell under my english breakfast.

I wrote three various and altering stories about the exact same thing that day, trying to communicate a major gut punch for the EWU males and Idaho women.

When I flew back to Spokane the next night, I was welcomed with darkness, an epic winter season storm and truck buried in snow in the airport parking lot.

A suitable ending to among the strangest weeks of my life.

Learn More

https://covid19globalcases.com/one-year-later-spokesman-review-staffers-remember-the-day-sports-stopped-due-to-the-coronavirus/

Comments