Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador revealed Sunday night that he’s tested positive for COVID-19
Driving the news: López Obrador tweeted that he has moderate signs and is getting medical treatment. “As constantly, I am optimistic,” he included. “We will all progress.”
The huge picture: The president has actually been criticized for his handling of the pandemic, which has declared the lives of almost 150,000 people and infected over 1.7 million in Mexico, per Johns Hopkins
Worth keeping in mind: López Obrador has minimized the using of masks. Last July, he told press reporters: “You know when I’m going to put on a mask? When there is no corruption. Then I’ll put on a mask and I’ll stop talking.”
- He has actually also identified lockdowns and face-mask requireds techniques of “dictatorship.”
For the record: Mexico last month became the very first Latin American country to begin coronavirus vaccinations.
- Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard tweeted hours before López Obrador’s statement that the Mexican leader would speak with Russian President Vladimir Putin by phone Monday to discuss obtaining doses of the Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine– which was presented before phase 3 trials started.
- Effectiveness results for this vaccine are expected next month
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new details throughout.
Comments
Post a Comment