NPR’s Mary Louise Kelly checks back in with Kelly Fields, owner of New Orleans dining establishment Willa Jean, to talk about how her organization is doing amid brand-new coronavirus break outs.
MARY LOUISE KELLY, HOST:
Brainstorm ideas for a company start-up, and winter outside dining in Alaska may not top your list.
( SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED NPR BROADCAST)
MATT TOMTER: Never ever in my life would I think we ‘d be serving food in a tent in Alaska in November, December.
KELLY: That is Matt Tomter, owner of four brewpubs around Anchorage. We had him on the show the other day to hear how organization is faring eight months into the pandemic. He informed us it is a mixed bag. This week, we are overtaking numerous small business owners who we have actually satisfied throughout this odd year. And today we head to New Orleans, which is where we find chef Kelly Fields.
Kelly Fields, hey there once again.
KELLY FIELDS: Hey There.
KELLY: So you and I talked a couple of times over the spring. You had actually simply had to shut down your pastry shop and dining establishment, Willa Jean.
FIELDS: I indicate, like the person in Alaska said yesterday, it’s a truly – it’s a variety. I feel extremely lucky to be in New Orleans, where we are at 50?pability and people are showing up and, you understand, playing by the rules and trying to alleviate danger as much as – just possible.
KELLY: I was going to ask. You’ve been as complete as you’re allowed to be?
FIELDS: Yeah, yeah. The majority of – I imply, we developed into it. Every day has been a bit busier. Each week’s been a little bit busier. And I feel actually fortunate that we’re – you know, our numbers are at 50%.
KELLY: Yeah. You’ll have seen there are a lot of cities that, with this big surge, are looking to close down indoor dining totally again. We don’t understand if it’ll come to that in New Orleans. Can you think of going through all this once again?
FIELDS: Never – the guv revealed that we are stepping back into phase 2, which mostly affects bar business here in New Orleans. And their plan is to limit bars being open based on positive percentage of testing.
KELLY: Yeah. I suggest, what is it that gives you the most pause – simply the unpredictability of it, the trying to look after your personnel, the trying to determine the financial (laughter) …
FIELDS: Yeah, I mean …
KELLY: … Bottom line of this, which must be scary?
FIELDS: The thing that guides me most is being able to take care of my personnel and thinking about how we’re doing whatever that we’re able to keep everybody safe and act with – in accordance to the requireds by the CDC and our city.
KELLY: Yeah. It should feel concurrently excellent to see your restaurant as full as you have the ability to get it and serving individuals …
FIELDS: Yeah.
KELLY: … Great food but also truly terrifying wondering …
FIELDS: Yeah.
KELLY: … Where have you originate from, and who were you with?
FIELDS: Exactly. Exactly.
KELLY: Have any of your staff gotten ill? I need to ask.
FIELDS: We have actually had a couple staff members test positive over the past eight months.
KELLY: Yeah.
FIELDS: I mean, we are putting one foot in front of the other and appearing and just trying to prepare food that we’re excited to prepare that people are excited to consume.
KELLY: Thanksgiving specials?
FIELDS: Oh, tons of them, yeah – pies galore.
KELLY: All right. That is chef Kelly Fields, who owns the acclaimed bakery and dining establishment Willa Jean in New Orleans.
Thank you. Terrific to speak to you.
FIELDS: Great to speak with you. Thank you.
( SOUNDBITE OF A.M.E.’S “POSITIVLAND”)
Copyright © 2020 NPR.
NPR transcripts are produced on a rush deadline by Verb8tm, Inc., an NPR specialist, and produced using a proprietary transcription process established with NPR.
Comments
Post a Comment