Scotland Backyard releases investigation after SNP MP Margaret Ferrier admits taking a trip to and from London while struggling with Covid-19
The current headlines in your inbox twice a day Monday – Friday plus breaking news updates
Scotland Backyard has released an investigation after SNP MP Margaret Ferrier confessed to travelling to and from London while suffering from coronavirus
Ms Ferrier said she took a test on Saturday afternoon after experiencing “moderate signs”, indicating she ought to have self-isolated, prior to taking a trip by train to London on Monday.
The MP then spoke in the coronavirus debate in the House of Commons on Monday and, by her account, checked favorable for Covid-19 that evening.
The Metropolitan Police said in a declaration: “On Thursday, 1 October, a Member of Parliament gotten in touch with Cops Scotland to report she may have breached legislation and assistance relating to Covid-19
” This associated to her actions earlier today, including a train journey on Tuesday, 29 September, in between London and Glasgow, following a favorable Covid-19 test.
” Following assessment with Authorities Scotland, officers from the Metropolitan Cops, dealing with British Transport Authorities, are carrying out an examination into prospective offences.”
The Met included that the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards has actually likewise been notified.
The MP for Rutherglen and Hamilton West had actually the whip suspended on Thursday after she issued a statement apologising for her actions.
” In spite of feeling well, I should have self-isolated while waiting for my test result, and I deeply regret my actions,” she said.
” I take full obligation and I would urge everybody not to make the same mistakes that I have, and do all they can to assist restrict the spread of Covid-19″
Nicola Sturgeon contacted Ms Ferrier to step down as an MP due to her “dangerous and indefensible” actions.
Scotland’s First Minister tweeted: “I have actually talked to Margaret Ferrier and explained my view that she should step down as an MP.
” I did so with a heavy heart – she is a pal and colleague – but her actions threatened & indefensible. I have no power to require an MP to resign however I hope she will do the best thing.”
The SNP’s Westminster leader, Ian Blackford, likewise implied his associate Ms Ferrier need to resign. He said Ms Ferrier must “review her scenario”.
The Commons said that she did not notify her celebration whip until Wednesday afternoon which a single person was identified as a close contact and told to self-isolate.
An SNP spokesperson insisted the celebration did not understand up until Thursday that Ms Ferrier had taken a test prior to taking a trip to London.
Scottish Conservative leader Douglas Ross, who resigned from Boris Johnson’s Federal government over Dominic Cummings’ lockdown movements, stated that “the general public deserve clear responses”.
Comments
Post a Comment