( Reuters) – Spain’s Fernando Verdasco questioned the French Open’s COVID-19 screening protocols on Friday after needing to withdraw from the competition due to a favorable result, which he deemed was incorrect.
Verdasco, 36, took out of the last Grand Slam of the year in Paris on Thursday, together with Canada’s Milos Raonic and Switzerland’s Belinda Bencic.
The Spaniard stated he had actually returned an unfavorable result on numerous events before he showed up in Paris, including at this month’s Italian Open in Rome, where he lost in the qualifiers.
The world number 58 criticised the French Open’s screening treatments after he was rejected a re-test.
” In August, I passed the COVID-19 asymptomatically,” he said in a declaration on Twitter here “Ever since I have actually done numerous PCR tests, with unfavorable outcomes … I evaluated unfavorable once again a couple of days ago in the test I took before going to Hamburg …
” My team and family travelled to Paris on Tuesday … they all evaluated unfavorable except me. I discussed my history and circumstance to try to demand another test …
” The Roland Garros organisation refused to do another test, even taking into consideration all these situations, and that there were enough days to repeat the tests before the competition and the draw ceremony. Still, I was disqualified.”
Verdasco said he had actually undergone 2 Polymerase Domino effect (PCR) tests and an antibody test since his withdrawal from the French Open and returned a negative result in all 3 tests.
” I want to interact my overall aggravation and outrage with the organisation of Roland Garros for taking away my right to participate even without giving me the chance to take another test with a new sample to verify that the outcome of the first might be an error,” he stated.
On Wednesday, Bosnian Damir Dzumhur stated he was taking legal action versus the French Open organisers after he was barred from entering the qualification round after his coach Petar Popovic evaluated positive for the infection.
The French Open, moved from its usual late May-June slot due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, starts on Sunday.
Reporting by Manasi Pathak in Chennai; Editing by Ken Ferris
for-phone-only for-tablet-portrait-up for-tablet-landscape-up for-desktop-up for-wide-desktop-up
https://covid19globalcases.com/verdasco-questions-french-open-covid-19-testing-protocols-after-withdrawal/
Comments
Post a Comment