
VICTORIA–.
British Columbia’s top doctor says she’s been the victim of death hazards after taking on the role as the public face of the province’s action to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry states she’s needed to have security in her home and has been targeted with death risks, in addition to violent letters and telephone call to personnel.
” We end up being a target,” Henry told a virtual gathering of the yearly Union of B.C. Municipalities conference Tuesday.
” I have actually got a great deal of really favorable reactions however there are lots of people who do not like what I do or don’t like the method I say it or do not like my shoes,” Henry said.
” And [they] feel rather able to send me nasty notes, to leave telephone call, to bug my office staff,” she added. “I’ve had to have security in my home, I have actually had death risks.”
She says she thinks it’s partly due to her status as a woman in a prominent position, which individuals feel comfortable targeting her in methods they would not always do to male leaders.
Henry has become a nationwide figure during her time leading B.C.’s reaction to the COVID-19 pandemic, with shoe designer John Fluevog calling a pair of shoes after her.
Her comments came during a panel presentation on management during the pandemic together with Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin and previous Tsawwassen chief Kim Baird.
Henry says it is very important to talk about these concerns when trying to coach the next generation of leaders.
With files from The Canadian Press
Comments
Post a Comment