Issued on: Modified:
.
Safeguarding champion Rafael Nadal will skip the U.S. Open since of the coronavirus pandemic, postponing his bid to equivalent Roger Federer’s men’s record for Grand Slam titles.
” The scenario is very complicated around the world, the COVID-19 cases are increasing, it looks like we still do not have control of it,” Nadal wrote.
After lots of ideas I have actually decided not to play this year’s United States Open. The situation is really complicated worldwide, the COVID-19 cases are increasing, it appears like we still don’t have control of it.
— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) August 4, 2020
The present No. 1-ranked woman, Ash Barty, currently had actually revealed she would be missing out on the U.S. Open
The professional tennis trips have been on hiatus since March since of the COVID-19 outbreak, with play resuming for women on Monday in Palermo, Italy.
This is a decision I never ever wanted to take however I have actually chosen to follow my heart this time and for the time being I rather not take a trip. pic.twitter.com/8VA0aSACVy
— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) August 4, 2020
His statement came shortly after the Madrid Open, scheduled for September, was canceled since of the pandemic.
” We understand that the decreased tennis calendar is barbaric this year after 4 months stopped with no play,” Nadal wrote on Twitter. “I understand and thank for the efforts they are putting in to make it take place.”
In in 2015’s thriller of a guys’s last at Flushing Meadows, Nadal edged Daniil Medvedev 7-5, 6-3, 5-7, 4-6, 6-4 in 4 hours, 50 minutes. That provided Nadal four titles at the U.S. Open and a total of 19 across all the Grand Slam competitions, just one far from Federer‘s profession mark.
Federer will be missing from the U.S. Open, too, but since of 2 operations on his ideal knee this year.
( AP)
Comments
Post a Comment