

Health center assistants – or ward kids, as they are known – play an important role in India.
The guy was frantically attempting to speak to a medical professional or nurse to find out about the condition of his relative who was a patient in the ward.
So Deep Chand, who worked as a ward young boy – or assistant – walked up to the guy and asked if he could assist.
Image copyright
Getty Images
Ward young boys look after patients throughout their stay.
That man was me, and I was trying to find out how my brother-in-law was doing. It had actually been three days given that he was put on a ventilator.
Doctors normally called every day to upgrade us, however on that day no-one appeared to have time to do that.
When Deep Chand came up to me, I mistook him for a doctor due to the fact that he was using individual protective devices (PPE) and I threw a volley of questions at him.
” I am a ward boy and I can’t assist you with these questions,” he said.
I must have sounded desperate and even impolite, however he responded softly, without irritation.
He informed me that my brother-in-law’s blood oxygen level was great, and there had actually been no turn for the worse in the last 10 hours.
Image copyright
Getty Images
They bring them food as part of their everyday job.
That’s how I satisfied Deep Chand,28 Ward boys are almost at the bottom of the hospital’s hierarchy. They have no expert medical training, and their job is to assist medical professionals and nurses in addition to assistance clients.
This includes whatever from taking samples for screening, wheeling patients across the hospital for X-rays, serving them food, and sometimes just talking to them. And amidst the uncomfortable turmoil of the pandemic, these ward young boys have actually ended up being a source of support not simply for clients however likewise for their households.
I will always remember my encouraging interaction with Deep Chand due to the fact that it’s just what I required to hear while I waited for an hour outside the ward, nervous and scared. I could hear the sounds of the makers, patients screaming in pain and physicians and nurses shouting instructions at each other.
I also distinctly remember a client pleading: “I can’t breathe, please save me!”
Deep Chand’s words cut through my panic and I ran to the car park to update my family – we nervously smiled at each other while standing at a safe distance.
This was the worst part – we could not hug and even hold hands when we desperately needed comfort. We had to keep distance to secure each other. Not having the ability to hold each other – while my spouse’s sibling was breathing through a machine – had actually ended up being routine.
Even on a day the medical professional informed us “the next 12 hours are crucial”, we all broke down in our respective corners of the parking area.
Image copyright
Getty Images
They talk with clients frequently to keep morale high.
In the days that followed, we typically count on Deep Chand and his associates whenever medical professionals were too busy to provide us updates.
We spent tense hours at home or in the hospital waiting on news from the ward.
It was hard since the very first two weeks of June saw a huge surge in Delhi’s Covid-19 case numbers. Many health centers were overrun, consisting of the one where my brother-in-law was confessed.
In that turmoil, ward kids like Deep Chand became messengers for lots of households like ours.
I would often see them consoling families, supporting them and taking messages to those patients who were too ill even to talk on the phone.
One day when my brother-in-law’s condition degraded, I was standing outside the ward and I broke down.
The doctor’s update was factual. “We can’t state anything at the moment, he is not enhancing.”
However a ward kid walked up to me and said: “Don’t stress, I have seen even seriously ill patients recover.”
His hopeful words gave me some relief.
Image copyright
Getty Images
They need to remain in protective gear for hours.
Did we choose the best hospital?
My household kept weeping but hoping for the “miracle” Deep Chand had told us was possible.
It was one of the most tough times in my life, and Deep Chand’s kind, calming words suggested a lot to me – especially when I wasn’t able to speak to the medical professionals.
Deep Chand has been working as a ward boy for five years.
” They were so busy, they in some way handled to speak to the families of serious clients once a day.
Instead, it was Deep Chand and other ward kids who would share what information they might about the patient’s development – they routinely informed me about my brother-in-law’s blood oxygen level.
” I can see the oxygen saturation level on the screen and I don’t mind sharing that info with families,” Deep Chand states.
And this is me on a day when news from the ward wasn’t appealing.
He says he has been working as a ward boy for five years, however Covid-19 has completely changed the method he works.
He includes that being in protective devices for 10-12 hours is agonizing, however it’s nothing “compared to what clients and their families go through”.
His coworker, Amit Kumar, nods in agreement, while speaking to me outside the Covid-19 ward one day.
Ward young boys also help discard used PPE matches.
Every day, ward young boys risk their lives in health centers throughout the country. Hundreds of them have been contaminated with the infection. Some have even passed away. But their contribution in the fight versus Covid-19 is rarely pointed out.
The ward kids I spoke to say this does not bother them. Deep Chand states he is not searching for special recognition.
When he was told that he would have to work in the “corona ward” at the start of the outbreak in March, he admits was worried. “I was terrified for my safety and that of my family.”
But then, he includes, he realised that he would not reconsider before going into the ward if one of his relative was sick.
” Every patient is somebody’s household.”
That thought drove him to begin working in the ward in April, and since then he has actually never thought about stopping.
And doctors appreciate this. “Ward boys are an important part of any ICU system,” says Dr Sushila Kataria, the director of intensive care at Medanta Hospital.
” They watch our backs, they handle disposed of PPE sets and infectious samples. No physician can work without their assistance,” she says.
” They are likewise heroes in this battle like doctors and nurses.”
Image copyright
Getty Images
They likewise help in bringing sick patients inside the healthcare facility.
But they are some of the lowest-paid employees in a hospital. The circumstance is even worse in smaller towns where they are worked with by specialists who rent their services to health centers.
Sohan Lal operates in a government-run hospital in the northern state of Bihar and earns 5,000 rupees ($66: ₤52) a month.
He states it’s a paltry amount given the threat of working in a Covid-19 ward. “But I do not have any other task, so I will keep doing this. I also understand the value of my job.”
He adds that numerous times he has given medicines to patients after seeking advice from the medical professional on the phone.
” Physicians hardly ever come for rounds more than once a day. Patients rely on ward kids to communicate their messages to the physicians.”
Image copyright
Getty Images
They clean the wards.
The other hard part of their job is seeing death so carefully. Deep Chand says he feels distraught when a client he has actually been caring for passes away.
” Often clients die after investing more than 2 weeks with us. They practically become like our household,” he states.
But, he includes, he will not stop “till we beat corona or it defeats me”.
I wished to specially thank him the day my brother-in-law was discharged after almost a month in the health center. However he disconnected my call, stating “he was on responsibility”.
A text followed: “You don’t require to thank us”, he wrote. “Pray for us and all medical groups operating in Covid-19 wards throughout the world”.
And he had a message too: “Please use masks and follow social distancing.”
I can’t concur with him more, having actually seen the worst of what this infection can do.
Comments
Post a Comment