Skip to main content

What Denver Nuggets' Nikola Jokic makes of his positive COVID-19 test and weight-loss

featured image

, U.S.A. TODAY
Published 10: 14 p.m. ET July 14,2020

CLOSE

SportsPulse: Only 2 days into his time in the NBA bubble, Mark Media is understanding just how far the league is prepared to go in order to make sure security for not just the gamers and coaches, however the media.

U.S.A. TODAY

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.– On the surface, it appeared Denver Nuggets center Nikola Jokic experienced a turbulent three weeks.

On June 23, Jokic checked positive for the coronavirus simply as the NBA started checking procedures. After staying quarantined for 14 days in his native Serbia, he experienced differing taking a trip logistics that prevented him from rejoining the team. And though he enjoyed the Nuggets practice here on Monday, it stays uncertain when he will receive clearance to get involved.

Yet, there Jokic was after practice showing more happiness and humor than any sadness and concerns.

” It wasn’t tough at all. I was house,” Jokic stated Tuesday in a video conference call with reporters. “I was with my sweetheart. It was actually kind of a trip for us.”

Jokic had no intentions to evaluate for COVID-19 considering that he remained asymptomatic. The NBA needed league-wide testing, however, prior to groups would travel to Orlando from July 7-9. Jokic took a test simply as he planned to leave his native Serbia for Denver. He then got news he did not expect.

” It was kind of unusual. I was feeling good and sensation normal,” Jokic said. “I was surprised.”

Meanwhile, the Nuggets ended up being worried. They closed their practice facility 2 weeks ago after the team stated “multiple individuals” in the team’s traveling celebration evaluated favorable for COVID-19 Even now, Nuggets coach Mike Malone said he’s “uncertain when we’re going to have a full complement of players.” As Yahoo! Sports initially reported, Denver Nuggets guard Gary Harris, forwards Michael Porter Jr. and Torrey Craig have not yet joined the group to Orlando. According to the NBA’s health and safety procedures, any person that checks favorable has to go through a cardiac screening and after that get 2 successive negative tests.

Jokic finally cleared that obstacle. So he showed up here at the Disney Campus on Saturday night before investing the next two days in quarantine. He said he had actually restricted interaction with colleagues and coaches aside from having a socially distant lunch with them on Tuesday. Given that he cleared quarantine, Jokic then received permission to attend and observe practice.

” Nikola is a huge part of what we’re attempting to do. Having him here lastly is terrific,” Malone stated. “He and I have a significant relationship. It was wonderful to see him stroll through those doors.”

Jokic seemed to feel the exact same method. Malone observed that Jokic was “in terrific spirits” throughout practice, and he showed that personality in his video conference call. Jokic, who is listed as 7-0, 284 pounds, showed his playful sense of humor on the interest on just how much weight he had actually lost after the NBA halted the season on March 11 due to the fact that of the pandemic.

” I don’t believe I’m supposed to tell you my pounds and my weight,” Jokic said. “It’s a team policy. I like that.”

Minutes later on, Jokic ended up being a bit more upcoming. He stated he only lost an additional 3 to 5 pounds after losing 20 to 25 pounds throughout the season through diet plan and exercise. That prompted him to express amusement over the public thinking he has ended up being a lean center.

— Eurohoops (@Eurohoopsnet) June 11, 2020

Jokic is living out the reverse of the ‘My Strategies/2020’ Meme. pic.twitter.com/I0IsmQJ5lp

— theScore (@theScore) June 11, 2020

” About the images, I see how people don’t see the changes,” Jokic said. “I didn’t lose that much pounds in the quarantine and corona.”

Nevertheless, Jokic stayed active during quarantine. Throughout the hiatus, Jokic talked often with Felipe Eichenberger, the Nuggets’ head strength and conditioning coach, for pointers on numerous exercises so he could stay strong and fit. The result? Jokic reported that he “didn’t have a break at all.”

Even when he remained in quarantine at his native Serbian home, Jokic had the flexibility to train in his residence.

All of which gives the Nuggets (43-22) a possibility to compete against the Los Angeles Lakers (49-14), Los Angeles Clippers (44-20) and Utah Jazz (41-23) in the Western Conference. Jokic currently had actually averaged 20.2 points on 52.8 percent shooting,10 2 rebounds and 6.9 assists before the season went on hold. And now he no longer feels burdened with worries about COVID-19 He also does not require to claim he needs the excess pounds to play physically as he maintained during last season’s playoffs, which ended with the Nuggets losing in the 2nd round to the Portland Trail Sports jackets in 7 games.

” I needed to say that due to the fact that what do you want me to state? It was the reason for the weight,” Jokic said. “What I’m going to do, I do not know. I’m just happy to be here and lastly concerned Orlando to be with the team. Possibly I’ll shock everyone. You will see.”

Follow USA TODAY NBA author Mark Medina on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Autoplay

Show Thumbnails

Program Captions

Find Out More

https://covid19globalcases.com/what-denver-nuggets-nikola-jokic-makes-of-his-positive-covid-19-test-and-weight-loss/

Comments