MUMBAI (Reuters) – The COVID-19 shutdown could not have actually come at a worse time for Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin however the American says she has actually made full usage of the mini off-season and is getting ready to go when the professional circuit reboots next month.
FILE IMAGE: Tennis – Australian Open – Women’s Singles Final – Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Australia – February 1,2020 Sofia Kenin of the U.S. poses with the trophy after winning her match versus Spain’s Garbine Muguruza. REUTERS/Hannah Mckay
The 21- year-old raised her first Grand Slam prize in Melbourne at the start of the year and then added a WTA title in Lyon, days prior to the circuit came to a halt due to the unique coronavirus pandemic.
” I did not anticipate that, it was a substantial shock,” Kenin stated in a phone interview from the Greenbrier resort in West Virginia, where she is playing on the planet TeamTennis event.
” I would say it was a downside, because I was playing really well and I had a fantastic two weeks and it was really memorable. So obviously it was very disturbing with what occurred with this whole virus thing.
” I was just commemorating the minute after winning my first Grand Slam. I believed it was going to be about playing more tournaments, create more experiences, play lot more matches and see all my fans.”
The expert tours have actually been suspended for 5 months since early March however Kenin did not let it impact her psychologically.
” I was working on various elements of my video game. My serve, getting more power in my shots,” the world number four stated. “I’ve worked (hard) during this tiny off-season, I would say. I have been practising every day.
” I know there are some players in Europe that weren’t able to practice for a month or more. Here I was able to practise, doing physical fitness, so I keep myself prepared and keep myself in shape for when the competitions start occurring.”
Kenin has actually signed up for the Western & Southern Open in New York, which was transferred from Cincinnati because of COVID-19, before the U.S. Open begins on Aug.31
Australian world primary Barty has actually decided to avoid the Grand Slam as she was not comfortable travelling to the United States amidst the pandemic.
” I would like to play her again deep in competitions. It’s unfortunate she can’t come,” Kenin said of Barty, whom she defeated in Melbourne in the semi-final.
Kenin has actually likewise kept herself match-fit, playing an exhibit event in the United States before making her debut this year in the WTT, which was among just a couple of live sports occasions to invite fans in The United States and Canada in the middle of the outbreak.
Her group, Philadelphia Liberties, completed at the top of the routine standings with the semi-finals and last set up for the weekend.
At the WTT, Kenin likewise had the chance to rub shoulders with childhood idols Kim Clijsters and Venus Williams, with whom she has images as a small lady.
” It’s been a really excellent experience, the WTT. We are having excellent match play, a great deal of competition,” Kenin stated, including that she felt safe with the stringent health protocols in location.
” Certainly the match play is going to assist me when the trip starts. It’s currently over 10 matches I have played … it’s about feeling the pressure again and starting strong.”
Reporting by Sudipto Ganguly; modifying by Christian Radnedge
Comments
Post a Comment